What Is Responsive Web Design?
There are millions of devices used worldwide, from tablets to phones to large desktop computers. Device users want to be able to view the same websites on any of these devices seamlessly. Responsive website design is an approach used to ensure websites are able to be viewed on all screen sizes, regardless of device.
What Is Responsive Website Design?
Responsive web design is a method that enables the website content and overall design to move and change based on the device you use to view it. In other words, a responsive website responds to the device and renders the website accordingly.
For example, if you resize this window right now, the Lifewire website will move and shift to fit the new window size. If you bring the website up on your mobile device, you'll notice our content resize to one column to fit your device.
How Does a Responsive Website Work?
Responsive websites are built to adjust and resize at specific sizes, also known as breakpoints. These breakpoints are browser widths that have a specific CSS media query that changes the layout of the browser once it's in a specific range.
To put it simply, when you change the width of your browser whether from resizing it or viewing it on a mobile device, the code in the back responds and changes the layout automatically.
Why Does Responsive Design Matter?
- On-site experience: Responsive web design ensures websites offer a seamless and high-quality on-site experience for any internet user, regardless of the device they're using.
- Content focus: For mobile users, responsive design ensures they're seeing only the most important content and information first, instead of just a small snippet due to size restrictions.
- Google-approved: Responsive design makes it easier for Google to assign indexing properties to the page, instead of needing to index multiple separate pages for separate devices. This improves your search engine rank, of course, because Google smiles upon websites that are mobile-first.
- Productivity saver: In the past, developers had to create completely different websites for desktop and mobile devices. Now, responsive web design makes it possible to update content on one website versus many, saving critical amounts of time.
- Better conversion rates: For businesses trying to reach their audience online, responsive web design is proven to increase conversion rates, helping them grow their business.
- Enhanced page speed: How fast the website loads will directly affect the user experience and search engine rank. Responsive web design ensures pages load equally fast on all devices, impacting rank and experience in a positive way.
Latest news & updates
- What Is Responsive Web Design?
- How to Create the Perfect Screen/Username
- What Is Social Networking?
- What Exactly Was Vine?